Wednesday, June 18, 2008

not for the easily-grossed out

I'm loving working days again (for the most part). Waking up at 5 a.m. is not fun, but I definitely like the regular schedule. AND- we have fun!

From what I'm hearing though- we are not supposed to have fun. We've been getting complaints from patients' families saying that we are laughing and such. While we definitely don't play around while directly involved in patient care, I completely admit to acting silly and trying to not be so serious while I'm at work. Unfortunately, we have no break rooms or place to move out of the fishbowl of the ER. We are on display all the time. It's required- We have to be ready for whatever comes through the door. Sometimes we have real emergencies in the ER (not the usual clinic stuff we see more than 50% of the time). I totally understand that families might find it inappropriate that we are laughing or making jokes out in the hall while their child is sick or injured. However, I find that laughter makes the job bearable. Sometimes the job that we do- isn't really a joking matter. Take this picture- for example. Here's Dr. Bush dressed up in his Level I Trauma garb- minus the gloves, mask, & hat. Whenever we have a Level I Trauma activation, we have to put all this crap on. It's hot & sweaty. To make matters worse, whenever there is a Level I, there's atleast fifteen people in this itty-bitty little room trying to save the kid. BUT this time Bush isn't dressed for a Level I. He's about to help a little boy remove a huge fecal impaction. The kid had not "boo-booed" for at least two weeks. The poor boy had already experienced two fleets enema and a soap suds enema, and the poo had yet to budge. For three hours the kid had screamed that he didn't want to push it out because it hurt too bad, so Bush was going to the rescue. We made him model before his big save. We got busy, and I never heard the end result. Hopefully the poor kid got some relief.


The hospital also bought every staff member a polo shirt. Anya, Cammie, & I put ours on for awhile before I got in trouble for wearing an "unapproved" shirt. Please tell me how a shirt that the institution gave me is "unapproved." Stupid policies. We did take a quick picture before I got my warning. And- the blue scrub thing was just a coincidence- just in case you were wondering. Do you like our popped collars? I'm so glad the University spent money on a t-shirt that is completely see-through and that I can't even wear to work. I would much rather have a new polo instead of a raise. Or somewhere to sit down & eat my lunch. Or a place to park my car that is safe. Or for equipment that actually worked.



On a much more positive note- I leave tomorrow morning for Newport, Rhode Island. We're staying at this hotel. I'm excited. I also booked a flight to Las Vegas for August. I'm going with some girls from work, and I am pumped. I've never been and have wanted to go for awhile. We're staying at the palazzo- which I think is the latest tower at the Venetian that supposedly just opened in January. I didn't do all the booking, but I have found that Jersey Boys are there- but without my favorite cast members. I don't think we have made any reservations for any shows, but I wouldn't mind seeing Bette Midler. i love her! All I know is that I need to save a ton of money. I am B-R-O-K-E.

No comments: